AMSUS Sustaining Members (SMs) are companies committed to the advancement of federal health professionals and work together in an environment that fosters cooperation and the sharing of ideas for the betterment of both the member companies and Federal agencies.
To offer support in channeling COVID-19 related communications and feedback, to and from industry, or to request assistance to help solve a problem, AMSUS-SM reached out to DHA, VACO & PBM/OPAL/NAC, IHS, BOP, COVID-19 Supply Chain JATF, HHS, FDA, CDC, NIH, OASH, OSG, FEMA, ASPR, and other federal agencies.
Here are some of the results of AMSUS-SM outreach:
- BOP requested support in seeking PPE. AMSUS-SM members responded and were able to assist BOP in accessing these supplies.
- The VA PBM requested our support in making announcements to industry about restrictions to access to & changes in the operation of VA Medical Centers. The AMSUS-SM VA Committee created a webinar to educate SM companies and their industry representatives.
- DHA POD reached out on behalf of the COVID-19 Supply Chain JATF to help promulgate a CSO focused on bolstering US Strategic Medicines/Supplies domestic industrial capacity, and to seek AMSUS-SM companies’ input.
- The NAC requested support by making an announcement to AMSUS-SM companies about the impact of the Defense Production Act.
- FEMA and AMSUS-SM have begun to explore development of a voluntary list of AMSUS-SM Corporate Member Contacts that FEMA might reach out to in the event of need as they address national disaster preparation, response, & recovery
In addition, AMSUS-SM VA Committee & Officers are working with US Medicine on development of a supplemental publication which cites examples of how federal health professionals & industry can work together as partners in order to advance federal/public health. We hope to involve federal health professionals who could share their experience in benefitting from partnership
COVID-19 presents a profound threat to public health and our federal health systems, including patients, staff, their families and communities. Federal health professionals are working hard to address these unprecedented challenges within their healthcare systems and as they support civilian healthcare systems. The AMSUS-SM and our member companies want to support federal health professionals as they seek to minimize transmission of SARS-CoV-2 & optimize care of COVID-19 patients and provide the many benefits of ethical public/private partnership. The best way for AMSUS-SM to do this is to engage federal health leaders in a discussion as to how we can serve and support their federal healthcare systems as they respond to the COVID-19 pandemic.
On behalf of our AMSUS-SM member Companies, I offer my heartfelt gratitude to the following leaders within our organization, for their ongoing support of AMSUS, our Sustaining Members, and the federal health professionals whom we all serve:
Matt King, Vice-Chairman, AMSUS-SM, Foundation Medicine
Winston Churchill, Secretary-Treasurer, AMSUS-SM, Pacira
Bill Cieri, Immediate Past-President, AMSUS-SM, Mylan
Tammy Anderson, Co-Chair, AMSUS-SM VA Committee, AstraZeneca
Dan Giffin, Co-Chair, AMSUS-SM VA Committee, Stryker
Mitch Brew, Co-Chair, AMSUS-SM DoD/DHA Committee, 3M
Dominic Cuccaro, Co-Chair, AMSUS-SM DoD/DHA Committee, AbbVie/Allergan
Karen Watkins, Co-Chair, AMSUS-SM USPHS Committee, J&J/Janssen
Ron Walters, Co-Chair, AMSUS-SM USPHS Committee, Cook Medical
Should any AMSUS member have questions about our Sustaining Member organization, how industry might be able to help support their patient care and federal health system goals, please call on me. Our AMSUS-SM organization and members look forward to each and every opportunity to serve AMSUS and federal health professionals.
Be Safe & Stay Healthy!
John DiMaggio, Chairman, AMSUS-SM, US WorldMeds