Federal health professionals are on the front lines fighting COVID-19. Across the federal health spectrum, AMSUS members are coordinating activities to prepare our country for a possible spike in patients as COVID-19 spreads beyond those who traveled internationally. You have AMSUS’ heartfelt thanks for your commitment and service.
In alignment with CDC guidance, AMSUS has postponed the upcoming AMSUS Regional Seminar: UNC/AMSUS May Day Trauma Conference; it is now scheduled for October. Also, the March Quarterly SM meeting was cancelled. An up-to-date calendar of events can be found at https://www.amsus.org/events/calendar-of-amsus-events/.
For health professionals who need to earn CE/CME over the next few months, AMSUS has online CE/CME opportunities, including a new 90-minute video “An Introduction to the VA Precision Oncology System of Excellence” from the 2019 AMSUS Annual Meeting, as well as CE/CME for select Military Medicine articles. Go to https://www.amsus.org/professional-development/journal-ce/ to view all of the current online CE/CME opportunities.
To assist you and your families, here is a list of resources:
- For more information on COVID-19 symptoms and CDC guidance, visit cdc.gov/covid19-symptoms
- For members of the military and their families seeking TRICARE advice and email updates, visit tricare.mil/coronavirus
- For veterans, the VA provides guidance at https://www.publichealth.va.gov/n-coronavirus/
- For Department of Defense clinicians who have a patient who meets the criteria as a person under investigation for COVID-19, guidelines require you report the information immediately to:
- Your Disease Reporting System Internet
- Your Installation and local public health authorities
- The Armed Forces Health Surveillance Brach’s Integrated Biosurveillance Alert & Response Operations section: email@example.com
- Members of the military may also learn more about COVID-19 at health.mil/Coronavirus
AMSUS is with each and every one of you in spirit. We understand the challenges you are facing, and we appreciate your courage during this pandemic. If there is an appropriate role AMSUS can take to support you, be assured AMSUS—The Society for Federal Health Professionals is there for you.
BG (ret) John M. Cho, MC, USA AMSUS Executive Director/CEO